Weight loss shakes are a fun and tasty way of losing weight. Many people follow weight loss shakes because they are easy to prepare, and you can customize them according to your dietary needs and wants. And certain recipes allow you actually to use it as a meal replacement.
What Are Weight Loss Shakes?
Weight loss shakes are cold beverages that actually originate from milkshakes. It mainly contains soy protein powders, fibers, vitamins, and minerals. Protein shakes are ideal for weight loss because it is low in calories. Most of the protein shakes we see in the market are sold in sachets, and a single sachet equivalent to 3 tablespoons only contains 44 to 60 kcal.
Weight loss shakes are also termed as weight loss replacement shakes because you may replace your lunch and dinner for these shakes. You always have the freedom to buy ready-to-make weight loss shakes or make one yourself. Because you aim to lose weight, it is not recommended that you add sugar; use fruits instead.
Protein shakes usually come in the form of powder and are often termed as protein supplements. They are sometimes individually packed or in large cans but contain essential nutrients our body needs after working out. Protein shakes are similarly made like other shakes where there’s ice on a blender, only this time the protein powder is added to it along with either water or milk. Some people prefer to add in fruit or vegetables for extra vitamins and flavor too.
The Different Types of Weight Loss Shakes
With the many weight loss shakes offered out there, choosing the right one can be pretty tricky. Here are the different types of weight loss shakes that you may encounter:
- Weight loss shakes come in different flavors and ingredients, and you can choose whichever you like, but you need to make sure that the shakes reach your daily nutrient requirements.
- Some are meant for women and not for men and vice versa because men and women have different metabolic requirements.
- There are weight loss shakes that focus on a specific kind of weight loss—some are for energy, others are meant to be consumed with water, and others with milk.
How does Protein Shakes for Weight Loss work?
First of all, we need to understand why protein is the one chosen of all nutrients out there. Protein is an essential nutrient when it comes to building muscle mass and keeping off the unwanted fat in the body. There has already been research on how effective whey-protein is for weight loss, but of course, there’s a catch—you need to make sure to keep a low-calorie diet and stay away from carbonated drinks and sodas.
According to health experts, to lose a pound, a person should take in a gram of protein, so in that case, if you want to lose 120 pounds, you will also have to consume 120 grams of protein. Since people have different requirements for protein intake, it should be divided into six meals so that weight loss will happen, but because some people have such hectic schedules, protein shakes are made for convenience.
How to Use Protein Shakes for Weight Loss
? Find out which is the right shake for you
When you are planning to use protein shakes for weight loss, be sure to know which among the brands out there is the right one for you. They may all be protein powders but be sure to understand what they are meant for as some are for muscle-builders and others for weight loss or weight gain. Keep a close eye on protein powders that will give you around 230 calories per serving and are, of course, low in fat. Since there are protein powders out there that are served in sachets, be sure to look into its serving of protein per shake which should be 25 grams of protein.
? Drink protein shakes along with a good diet for balance
Each of us has different dietary and metabolic needs. So if we start using protein shakes, some of us will be able to go along with it just fine as a meal replacement for a meal, but others might end up lacking in certain nutrients. Because of this, it is recommended that a dieter make sure that the protein shake that he/she will be drinking has enough nutrients, mainly if it will be used as a meal replacement. You can do this by adding low-fat or skim milk. Some will even add in fruits or vegetables. Of course, even if you have protein shakes with you, you are still required to eat balanced meals, which means it should include a variety of healthy foods in it.
? Know when the right time is to drink it
It has been discussed earlier that you must drink protein shakes at the right time to work for weight loss. It would be acceptable to make it a meal replacement, but it is most recommended during breakfast because it makes you feel full longer, giving ample time to feel hungry again for the next meal. With the energy you’ll get from the protein shake, you will have all the power you need at the very start of your day.
You may use a protein shake to replace meals BUT not every meal. It is recommended that a person takes in protein shakes for breakfast because after you have dinner, the minute you get up, you have more or less fasted for an average of 8 hours already. With this, it becomes easier for the body to adjust to consuming proteins. Another ideal time to take in a protein shake is after working out because it is this time when our bodies attempt to replenish themselves where muscles are repaired and rebuilt.
Protein shakes are ideal protein diet supplements for weight loss because they have been proven and tested by many studies that they do work for people wanting to lose weight. Weight loss shakes for meal replacement are also available in the market. But it is crucial that if you take them, you have to eat fruits and diet meals to make sure your nutrition is balanced. You will know if the weight loss shakes you had really worked if they don’t make you feel hungry later. It would be best to consult your physician or registered dietitian to find out which type of weight loss shake is best for you.
Protein Shakes Advantages
- Very convenient as you can bring them along wherever you go. There are even shakes available in cans and for powder shakes; as long as your workplace or where you go has a blender, you can prepare it.
- Makes calorie counting simple because the powder protein shakes specify how much calories it contains in a sachet.
- It helps regulate blood sugar because compared to other diets, these weight loss shakes allow you to take in as much as five shakes in a day. You can even drink it every 3 hours to avoid blood sugar spikes.
- Once you have adjusted to a liquid diet such as weight loss shakes, you no longer have to think much about your diet.
- Adding in excess calories rather than cutting it out is possible, as some people should only take in protein if they lack this nutrient.
- Too much protein intake as some people unconsciously take enough protein and drink protein shakes might only be put to waste as it is considered excess.
- Find out the price ranges for protein powders to make sure that you are still within your budget when on this kind of diet.
- Even if protein powders come in various flavors (even unflavored ones), it can be pretty hard to look for one that is appealing to our taste buds.
- Like any other diet, the safest way to start using protein shakes for weight loss is by actually seeking your doctor’s opinion first. It is essential to find out if adding more proteins to your body will help rather than harm you.
- If you are used to chewing and eating full meals, your transition to a weight-loss shake diet can be quite a tough one because, after all, this is a liquid diet.